Well where do I start. Some may be aware last year I became very sick with thyroid problems for 12 months which at last is back to normal, but during this time I saw a dietitian that recommend that I go gluten free. Easy said than done. I went on the hunt to find food that I could eat they were either very expensive or very hard to find something I would like.
After much trial and heaps of errors found a bread that I like and could make at home. Hence a lot of photos on my blog of cooking bread.
I’ve been very naughty and not stuck to eating GF food but this week made a promise to myself to get back onto as I’ve put on a lot of weight due to thyroid issues and depression.
When I was good I use Springhill Farms GF bread.
You can buy a trial box which has a selection of there products .
What I also wanted to share with you was a recipe for
Gluten free Lemon Butter Squares
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
175g butter softened. ( I use homebrand Canola spread)
2 tsps grated lemon rind
2/3 cup castor sugar
1/2 cup GF Self raising flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
2 eggs, light beaten
Pure icing sugar to decorate
1/2 cup castor sugar
2 tblsps lemon juice
1. Grease an 18x28cm rectangle slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper. (I just used my Canola Oil Cooking Spray instead of paper)
2. Mix butter and lemon rind in a large bowl. Add castor sugar, flour, almond meal, coconut and eggs. Stir to combine. Press evenly over base of prepared pan.
3. Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 40 min or until lightly browned.
4. Meanwhile, to make topping, stir castor sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour evenly over the warm slice. Cool in pan. Sift icing sugar gently over the top, ensuring an even coverage.
5. Cut into squares to serve.
Just out of the oven
Making the sugar sauce
Shiny with the topping on
Do you have a GF recipe you would like to share, please add into the comments so everyone can enjoy.